Call on Malaysians, regardless of race, religion, region, politics, age or gender to unite to save Malaysia from the New Despotism
Malaysians, regardless of race, religion, region, politics, age or gender must unite to save Malaysia from the New Despotism which showed its ugly face on the 57th Merdeka anniversary.
Who would have imagined that the 57th Merdeka anniversary would see a quintuplet assault on Malaysian nation building, democracy, the rule of law, press freedom and academic freedom as illustrated by the following instances:
- Escalation of the rhetorics and politics of racist and religious extremism with UMNO Ministers, leaders and cybertroopers enjoying immunity and impunity for making the most racist, incendiary and intolerant utterances;
- A slew of malicious and selective prosecution of Pakatan Rakyat Members of Parliament and State Assemblymen on sedition and other criminal charges which could lead to the most number of parliamentary and state assembly by-elections in Malaysian history, resulting from disqualification of MPs and SAs convicted of criminal offences.
- The most number of selective and malicious prosecutions on sedition and other criminal charges aimed stifling dissent in the country.
- Malaysiakini reporter, Susan Loone, being investigated for sedition for carrying out her journalistic duties.
- The first academician, Prof Azmi Sharom, charged for sedition for giving his legal opinions on legal and constitutional developments in the country - which is the most serious attack on academic freedom in recent times.
Patriotic Malaysians, regardless of race, religion, region, politics, age or gender must unite to save Malaysia from this New Despotism which the Prime Minister, Datuk Seri Najib Razak, has initiated on the occasion of his sixth Merdeka Anniversary.